In the mid-80s, widespread acceptance of trekking as an adventurous hobby provided many young people, an ample opportunity to learn more about our forests, hills, and rivers. At the same time, a team of amateur naturalists supported by academicians in Mysore city was spreading nature study activities. The result was fabulous, naturalists and the areas of monitoring swelled many folds, resulting in many articles in journals and newspapers. At one stage, a thought came to publish them in the form of a book for future references. Interaction with many friends, field naturalists, and conservationists made us believe, that the best option is to make it accessible online so that each and everyone could access it. Thus, www.mysorenature.org became reality.
The outcome of nature trails conducted during last two decades in many biodiversity-rich locations in Mysore, Mandya and Chamarajanagar districts (Mysore area) of Karnataka State, excluding Wildlife sanctuaries and National Parks, would appear in due course. Also, we would include neighboring areas of our study area, far off places in Karnataka, and other parts of India. Our intention is to prepare an authenticated inventory of all life forms found in Mysore area. Since, our knowledge is limited to Plants, butterflies, and birds; priority is given to compile them first. Alongside documentation and authentication of damsel and dragonflies, frogs and spiders are in the process.
We used to report, the outcome of our regular outings in a birds discussion group - bngbirds, where experts used to correct and guide our checklists and would continue to do so to polish our knowledge and utilize their expertise.
Those interested can help us to update and support our motive in pure science spirit.
Latest on Mysore Nature
- 12.11.19 - Nature walk at Mugana Hundi Kere
- 29.10.19 - Botanical walk at Chamundi Vana
- 02.10.19 - Mysore birding diary - Jul-Aug-Sep'19
- 10.09.19 - Current status of Kukkarahalli Lake
- 13.08.19 - Srirangapatna Island Trees
- 25.06.19 - Mammals of Karnataka
- 25.06.19 - Frogs and Toads of Mysore Area
- 16.06.19 - Frogs and Toads around Karanji Lake
- 14.05.19 - Goobe - Namage ati upakari
- 12.04.19 - Spiders of Mysore Area
- 08.04.19 - Updated Birds of Mysore Area