Winter Bird Monitoring Program (2019-20)
- Totally 16 teams consisting of 45 birders took part covering different routes simultaneously.
- Birders collected data from 114 locations spread over Mysore- Mandya – Chamarajanagar districts.
- No of bird species- 202 including 45 non-residents and Total number of birds – 25107.
- Total max count of individual species in survey: Bar-headed Goose (2108), Cattle Egret (1920), Little Cormorant (1144).
- Max number of birds recorded from: Kabini – 1640, Kikkeri (1414), Lingambudhi (741) Nos.
- Max bird species recorded from: KRS (99), Rayanakere (78), Kalale (65).
- Species occurring at maximum no. of places out of 114 location – Brahminy Kite (86), Cattle Egret (78), Little Egret (77).
- Recorded for the first time: White-rumped Shama -412th bird of Mysore Area by Nisarga S, Shylajesha S, & Sudhanshu Hegde.
- Other interesting sightings: Malabar Lark, Eurasian Wryneck, Thick-billed Warbler, Red Spurfowl, Common Quail, Crake – Baillon’s & Ruddy-breasted, Yellow-throated Bulbul, Indian Scops-owl, and Yellow-throated Sparrow.
- Single flock containing number of birds reported : Bar-headed Goose (1550), Brown-headed Gull (100), Cattle Egret (200), Cotton Pigmy Goose (300), Egyptian Vulture (10), Eurasian Wigeon (234), Garganey (200), Glossy Ibis (263), Lesser Whistling Duck (165), Little Cormorant (265), and Northern Shoveler (208).
SINGLE-DAY MID-WINTER BIRD CENSUS -12/01/2020: As in the previous years, we will go for a single day bird census on 12/1/2020. Please keep a day free for this season's bird census.
- It is not a competition; observe the birds in the field for its proper identification, activity and it will fine-tune our birding skills. Note down.
- Intimate in advance the route planned (Refer Excel sheet marked) , so that other interested birders can join the team or others can take a different route. TRY TO HAVE MINIMUM TWO MEMBERS for any unknown eventuality.
- Enter the data in “e-bird” website in-situ or as soon as you are back from the day-long birding trip. Post the link on facebook/ mysorenature or the data filled form/Excel sheet for data compilation.
- Upload in eBird: Shared with MMCBCG (User name, for easy compilation) and in comments section add 'AWC 2020'.
- Share your interest with your friends, especially students from life science and introduce them to field study.
- Previous years data can be seen at https://www.mysorenature.org/bird-monitoring-program/winter-bird-monitoring-program