Winter Bird Monitoring Program (2016-17)
This time, it is proposed to collect the birding data on a SINGLE DAY in all the routes as listed below, on 08/01/2017. Reserve this day for the birding experience endeavor.
I. How to go ahead with bird monitoring?
- Minimum birding period is half an hour in one location.
- It is not a competition; observe the birds in the field for its proper identification, activity and it will fine-tune our birding skills. Note down.
- Intimate in advance the route planned, so that other interested birders can join the team or others can take a different route.
- Enter the data in “e-bird” website as soon as you are back from the day-long birding trip. Post the link on facebook/ mysorenature or the data filled form/Excel sheet for data compilation.
- Share your interest with your friends, especially students from life science and introduce them to field study.
II. Locations and Route details:
The outcome of Single Day Birding on 08/01/2017:
- Totally 221 bird species recorded by 12 teams from 69 locations spread over three districts of Mysore region. In this exercise, 46 birders counted 54,057 birds.
- We were expecting least count as well as fewer species as Mysore region is reeling under third consecutive famine. In contrast, drying lakes offered ample rich food with minimal effort, thus resulting in a high count of birds and variety of species.
- To name a few –ALBINO COOT, EUROPEAN BEE-EATER, SPRANGLED DRONGO, FERRUGINOUS DUCK, GREATER FLAMINGO, WHITE STORK, GADWALL, BLACK-EARED KITE, RICHARD'S PIPIT, SPOTTED REDSHANK, CURLEW SANDPIPER, SANDMARTIN, & RUDDY SHELDUCK.
- A similar attempt on 17/01/2016 (last year) by 9 teams comprising of 19 birders covering 43 locations, resulted in 179 species (total bird count was very meager -15,437).
Participants, team wise: Anagha Bagade & Smitha Rao; Vijayalaxmi Rao, Sheshgiri BR, Shanmugam R & Dinesh KS; Suresh VP; Girija T, Arpitha Bhat, Anjini Murali, ASP; Shivakumar, Sapna, Sukrith; Dr. Gayathri, Kashyap P, Swetha B, Sahana M; Harsha NR, Naveen J; Abhijith APC, Pavan Ramachandra, Amatya chandra, Pradyumna Acharya; Kiran Bagade, Chethan Arvind, Kalleshwar, Kushagra Dev Urs, Vivekananda Raddy, Bharath, Nithin Singh, Karthik Kabade, Vinyas, Jyothbasu, Aravinth, Shashank; Radha Vijayaraghavan, M.R. Vijayaraghavan Gini, Soundaryavalli Madhugiri, Lakshmi Dinesh & Dinesh KV; DH Tanuja, Navya R & Joshika; Yogendra HS, Chandra S, ShylajeshS & Siri Chandra