Nature walk at Giribettada Kere and surroundings
Post date: Jul 14, 2015 4:27:48 AM
Date: 19/7/2015, Sunday
Habitat: Waterbody & Agricultural fields
Duration: 7.00 to 11 AM
- 25+ Participants observed 74 bird, 31 butterfly and few flowering plant species. Few interesting sightings -
- Plants in Flower – Oxystelma secamone, Nymphoides hydrophylla, Grangea maderaspatana, Malvastrum coramandelianum, Phyla nodiflora, Bacopa monnieri, Clerodendru phillippinum & Eclipta prostrata.
- Butterflies–Small Salmon Arab, Common wanderer, Common Bushbrown, Angled Caster, Grey Pansy. Probably breeding of Indian Reed-warbler Acrocehalus[stentoreus] brunnescens.
- Birds – A pair of Indian Reed-Warbler Acrocephalus [stentoreus] brunnescens attempted to breed in reeds of Lingambudhi tank during monsoon, few yers back; and on one more instance one was sighted during May at Adichunchanagiri (Mandya) . Present sighting and defending calls, indicates Reed-Warbler's breeding activity.
Pic: Participants in action
When : 19/07/2015, Sunday
Where : Giribettada Kere and surroundings, Mysore District
Habitat : Water body, Agricultural fields
How long : 07.00 to 11.00 AM
Distance : 16.6 Km from Mysore Railway Station
Note & Tips:
- Nature Walk is free
- Program is open to all, people of any age or experience level are welcome to take part
- Field trip involves strolling / walking on dirt track
- Carry sufficient water and snacks for individual requirement
- Road is good, but be cautious about Sand Lorries and Private buses that ply rashly on this road
Assembly point : On T Narasipura Road, almost 2 km after Varuna lake, a water body on the right side is Giribettada Kere ( on left side there is a govt residential school).
For more details, please contact:
+91-9480191661 (7 PM to 9 PM )