Nature Walk at Hebbal Kere
Post date: May 7, 2014 4:25:05 AM
Date : 18/05/2014, Sunday
Place : Hebbal Kere and surroundings, Hebbal Industrial Area, Mysore City
Habitat: Lake & Coconut farms within Industrial area with few large -local trees
Duration : 4 Hours (6.30 to 10.30 AM)
- Birders participated -17
- Vegetation turned green after few summer rains. Butterflies have started appearing (12 species) after rains. Interesting ones -PEACOCK PANSY, SMALL SALMON ARAB, WHITE/CRIMSON/PLAIN ORANGE TIP. PLAIN TIGER was laying eggs.
- Water level is improved but very much polluted; still found fresh water species like DARTER, COMMON KINGFISHER, PIED KINGFISHER among 68 bird species observed.
- Fruiting of AZIMA TETRACANTHA, CORDIA DICHOTOMA; flowering of CLEOME VISCOSA, IPOMOEA CAIRICA.
- Distribution of grids for proposed June month’s ‘Mysore City Bird Atlas’ program discussed and allotted. Others can choose .
- Few interesting sightings:
- Coordinated group fishing by INDIAN CORMORANTs
- Migratory bird still present - BLACK-WINGED STILT
- Adult COMMON KINGFISHERs were very rigorously fishing to feed their two off-shoots.
- View today’s checklist online http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18443703
When : 18.05.2014, Sunday
Where : Hebbal kere and surroundings
Habitat: Lake and surroundings
How long : 4 Hours (06.30 to 10.30 AM)
Distance : 9 Km from Mysore
Charges/Fee : None
1. Program is open to all
2. Carry sufficient water and snacks for individual requirement
3. Please make your own vehicle arrangement to reach the location. Planned properly can save fuel, so pooling is essential.
4. You can decide yourself to come with or without camera (In one of the nature walk it is proved better observation of birds is possible without camera)
Assembly point : Hebbal tank entrance by 06.30 am