Nature Walk at Chamundi Vana
Post date: Aug 4, 2014 4:58:11 PM
Date: 03/08/2014 & 10/08/2014, Sunday
Habitat: Rocky, Thorn & Open Dry-deciduous vegetation
Duration: Three Hours (7.00 to 10.00 AM) each
- Dr Shekar RGC, introduced us to the wonderful voyage of Geology. Educated about formation of earth, geological formations, variety of rocks, history and value of rocks, gneisses, faults, types of weathering, comparison of soils, mining sites around Mysore, geography of Karnataka & India, and comparison of Chamundi hills with Saragur hills. Clarified many doubts posed by 30+ participants. (3/8/2014). It was entirely a Geological Walk.
- Sri Sampath Kumar K led the nature walk on 10/8/2014 introducing us to the vegetation composition of Chamundi hill and its special features. Thorn-scrub & open dry deciduous components was dealt in detail for the benefit of amateurs ( 23+ participants).
- Participants observed many plants in flowering & fruiting, 39 butterfly & 25 birds’ species. Few interesting ones -
- Plants – CAPPARIS SYLOSA , CORALLOCARPUS EIPGAEUS (FR), SOLANUM SISYMBRIFOLIUM (FL), HIBISCUS LOBATUS (FL), PHYLLANTHUS VIRGUTUS, P. MADERASPATATENSIS (FR); Luxurious growth of RHYNCHELYTRUM REPENS grass in the slopes was a feast to watch.
- Birds –PIED CUCKOO, GREY-BELLIED CUCKOO, COMMON WOODSHRIKE, only breeding observed was of SILVERBILL(=WHITE-THROATED MUNIA),
- Butterflies – New addition to Mysore area Plain Hedgeblue Celastrina lavendularis LARGE BRANDED SWIFT, 6 types of TIPS, 5 types of GRASS BLUEs .
- View today’s checklist online.
When : 10.08.2014, Sunday
Where : Chamundi Vana, Chamundi Foot hills, Mysore city
Habitat: Scrub & Woodland
How long : 3 Hours (7.00 to 10.00 AM)
Charges/Fee : None
Assembly Point: At arch (see image) of Chamundi hill entrance (near Thavare Katte), sharp 6.45 am.
1. Program is open to all
2. Carry sufficient water /snacks/medicine for your individual requirement