Nature walk at Karighatta
Post date: Aug 26, 2014 2:42:31 PM
Date: 07/09/2014, Sunday
Habitat: Riverine, Rocky hillock, Agricultural fields
Duration: 7.00 to 10.30 AM
- Dr Shekar RGC, continued Geological classes that started at Chamundi hills - Milky quartz, Garnets, Amphibolites rocks having alternate black and white strips, Porphyritic textured rocks & highlighted Syenite porphyry, Diorite porphyry, and Fuchsite Quartzite.
- Sri Sampath Kumar K introducing us to Riverine vegetation on either side of River Lokapavani, Hillock’s Thorn-scrub & open dry deciduous components. Few interesting plants observed –PHRAGMITES MAXIMA, SALIX TETRASPERMA, TREWIA NUDIFLORA, HOLOSTEMMA ANNULARE & SOLENA AMPLEXICAULIS.
- 29 Participants observed many plants in flowering & fruiting, 12 butterfly & 54 birds’ species. Few interesting ones -
- Birds –WIRE-TAILED SWALLOW, DUSKY MARTIN (nest building), JERDON’S LEAFBIRD, RUFOUS-TAILED LARK, RUFOUS TREEPIE, WHITE-RUMPED MUNIA.
- Butterflies – SMALL GRASSYELLOW.
- View today’s checklist on ebird.org
Fig: Amphibolite rocks
Highlight: Dr RGC Shekar & Sri Sampathkumar K happily agreed to participate and would be sharing their knowledge in their respective fields.
When : 07.09.2014, Sunday
Where : Karighatta hill near Sri Rangapattana, Mandya Dt
Habitat: Riverine, rocky hillock, agricultural fields.
How long : 3 Hours (7.00 to 10.00 AM)
Distance : 21 Km from Mysore Railway Station ( Route Map attached)
Charges/Fee : None
Assembly Point: At Foothill of Karighatta, Sri Rangapattana, Mandya Dt., sharp 6.45 am.
1. Program is open to all
2. Carry sufficient water /snacks/medicine for your individual requirement