Nature Walk at Maddur Tank, Hampapura
Post date: Sep 29, 2012 5:56:09 AM
Duration: 07.30 -12.00 hr
Weather: Cloudy and sunny
Participants: 17 members
- Rain-fed Tank, occasionally gets water from Varuna Canal - Failed Monson almost dried the tank.
- Foothills of Malleswara Gudda (hillock) and agricultural fields –poor rainfall affected the crop as well as scrub vegetation
- Butterflies: 28 Species
- Birds: 78 Species
- Sighted solitary Great Thick-knee/Great Stone Plover Esacus recurvirostris away from rock strewn rivers in Mysore Area in tank bed, camouflaged with black soil background.
- Three Eurasina Spoonbill Platelea leucorodia were foraging something unknown in ploughed field, while rest of co-foragers like Asian Openbill Anastomus oscitans, Painted stork Mycteria feucocephala, Spot-billed Pelican Pelecanus philippensis were relaxing
- Normally found pair of White-bellied Minivet Pericrocotus erythropygius was without male bird.
- Some Winter & Local Migrants observed;
- Pied crested Cuckoo, Clamator jacobinus
- Black Drongo, Dicrurus macrocercus
- Eurasian Golden Oriole, Oriolus oriolus
- Little-ringed Plover, Charadrius dubius
- Blyth's Reed-Warbler, Acrocephalus dumetorum
- Common Lesser Whitethroat, Sylvia curruca
- Bay-backed Shrike, Lanius vittatus
- Brown Shrike, Lanius cristatus
- Common Swallow, Hirundo rustica
- Yellow Wagtail, Motacilla flava
- Booted Warbler, Hippolais caligata
- Butterfly activity was poor, may be due to prevailing dry weather; however, Yellow Orange Tip Ixias pyrene, Plain Orange Tip Colotis eucharis, Small Orange Tip Colotis etrida, Small Grass Yellow Eurema brigitta and Tailless Lineblue Prosotas dubiosa were in good numbers and very active.
Fig: Spot-billed Pelicans and Painted Storks post foraging activity
Fig: Dioscorea pentaphylla in flower & fruit
Fig: Participants of inaugural edition of Mysore Nature Walk at Maddur Lake
When : 07.10.2012
Where : Maddur Tank and surrounding Open Scrub, HD Kote Taluk, Mysore District
Distance : 30 Km from Ring road - HD Kote Road junction ( Route Map : http://goo.gl/maps/DeTpv )
How long : 4 Hours (07.30 to 11.30 AM)
Instructions : 1. Please make your own vehicle arrangement
2. Carry sufficient water and snacks for individual requirement
3. Road is good up to Hampapura on HD Kote Road, where we take right turn.
4. From here, next 7 Km stretch upto Maddur Tank is not good
Assembly point : Ring road - HD Kote Road junction at 06.15 AM (sharp)
(just after Srirampura Gram Panchayat Office on HD Kote Road)
Charges/Fee : None
Contact : Shivaprakash Adavanne
firstname.lastname@example.org | +91-9480191661 (7 PM to 9 PM )